History and architecture
The former Stuyvesant High School was built in 1905-07 as Manhattan's first "manual training" public school for boys, one of the educational reforms brought about by William H. Maxwell, first Superintendent of Schools following the consolidation of Greater New York in 1898.
Stuyvesant, one of the first high schools built after the creation of a citywide system of public secondary education, was part of the vast school construction program launched to meet the needs of the city's rapidly expanding population. Designed by Superintendent of School Buildings C.B.J. Snyder in a Beaux-Arts style, with distinctive classicallyinspired and Secessionist detail, the five-story, Hplan building is organized around light courts at the sides.
The main facade on East 15th Street, clad in tan brick and limestone, is dominated by a pedimented entrance pavilion, flanked by three bays of windows on each side, while the East 16th Street facade, of red brick above a limestone base, has more restrained ornamental detail. Stuyvesant became the city's first high school to specialize in the sciences, and achieved a reputation over the years as one of the city's most prestigious high schools, noted for mathematics, the sciences, and technology.
Students were admitted by competitive examination after the 1930s and, following a court decision, girls first attended the school in 1969. Among the many notable graduates were three Nobel Prize winners, numerous scientists, mathematicians, engineers, doctors, and lawyers, as well as judges, politicians, architects, and figures in the theater, film, and television. The school relocated to Battery Park City in 1992. The original Stuyvesant High School building remains in use by the High School for Health Professions, the Institute for Collaborative Education, and P.S. 226, a special education program.
Sources and further reading
This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.