History and architecture
This pair of three and one-half story brick and stone Clergy Houses in French Renaissance Eclectic style, have about them an air of refined elegance in their purity of design, and in the excellent refinement of their architectural details. Adjacent to and contiguous with the Church of Immaculate Conception, they complete and augment the superb composition of this ecclesiastical complex. Once a part of Grace Church Parish, the Chapel and Clergy Houses were known as Grace Chapel and Hospital on Fourteenth Street and were furnished as a "free-pew" place of worship for those less fortunate financially than the members of Grace Church itself. In the days of the great nationalities migrations, it had done yeoman's service for the incoming European Protestants. In 1943, the buildings were sold to the Catholic Church which has preserved and now makes good use of these buildings.
Sources and further reading
This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.