History and architecture
This boldly severe Gothic Eclectic church of stone and Roman brick, has great distinction and individuality in its design and architectural composition. The clean cut profile of the free standing tower, is handsomely contrasted with the steep-pitched gable roof of the church and each structure clearly expresses its function with great clarity and dignity.
A cluster of slender columns accents the verticality of the tower as they extend upward and terminate in pointed arches. The severe gable of the church cuts a sharp silhouette, against the soaring verticality of the bell-tower. Below the tower, at the street level, a low archway with deep reveal creates depth in the entranceway producing a deep shadow, adding mystery and atmosphere to the whole composition.
A large rose window penetrates the plain, asymmetrical brick gable of the church. Directly below it a handsome doorway with a decorated arched portal, creates a focal point for the church entrance. To the right of the doorway is a chapel of intimate charm, enriched with beautifully scaled details. Set between six pinnacled buttresses are paired, pointed arched windows separated by small columns. Above, at the roof line, a low stone railing (balustrade) adds richness to the structure.
Once a part of Grace Church Parish, the Chapel and Clergy Houses were known as Grace Chapel and Hospital on Fourteenth Street and were furnished as a "free-pew" place of worship for those less fortunate financially than the members of Grace Church itself. In the days of the great nationalities migrations, it had done yeoman's service for the incoming European Protestants. In 1943, the buildings were sold to the Catholic Church which has preserved and now makes good use of these buildings.
Sources and further reading
This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.