New York Public Library, Aguilar Branch

174 East 110th Street, New York, NY

History and architecture

The Aguilar Branch of the New York Public Library initially was built for the Aguilar Free Library Society, which was founded in 1886 as an independent library to provide circulating books for immigrant Jews. The society was named after Grace Aguilar (1816-1847), a popular British novelist and essayist of Sephardic Jewish descent, and this building serves as a reminder of the legacy of private philanthropic support of the city's libraries during the late nineteenth century.

A first Aguilar Free Library was built on this site in 1898-99. In 1903, the library consolidated with the New York Public Library, and a year later with funds from Andrew Carnegie, the building was extended at the rear, a third story was added, and the existing facade was enlarged and redesigned. Both the first building and the extant Classical Revival structure were designed by the firm of Herts & Tallant, which is best known for its theater designs.

The Aguilar Free Library is an impressive example of the firm's non-theater work. Part of the New York Public Library system for nearly ninety years, this branch, which was renovated in 1993-96 and reopened in May 1996, continues to bear Grace Aguilar's name.

Sources and further reading

This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.

Keep exploring nearby.

All building histories

Religious

Saint Cecilia's Convent

112 East 106th Street, New York, NY

Built 1907, this religious landmark at 112 East 106th Street was designed by Neville & Bagge.

Religious

St. Cecilia's Church

120 East 106th Street, New York, NY

Built 1883-87, this religious landmark at 120 East 106th Street was designed by Napoleon Le Brun & Sons.

Educational

Public School 72

1674 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY

Built 1879-82, this educational landmark at 1674 Lexington Avenue was designed by David I. Stagg.

Firehouse

Fire Engine Company No. 53

175 East 104th Street, New York, NY

Built 1883-84, this firehouse landmark at 175 East 104th Street was designed by Napoleon LeBrun & Sons.