History and architecture
The World's Columbian Exposition, at Chicago in 1893, brought to this country a new classicism. This Bank of 1894 was one of the first to herald the new style making the most of a difficult L-shaped site. The narrow entrance at 130 Bowery has been handled extremely effectively, utilizing the triumphal arch motif combined with an outer enframement reminiscent of the temple-form, complete with pediment. An attic story surmounts the whole with a cornice richly decorated by lions' heads and other ornament. McKim, Mead & White, the architects, always availed themselves of sculpture where possible. Here in the pediment the central clock is handsomely flanked by reclining classical figures and domesticated lions.
The broader side on Grand Street repeats the sculptured pediment on a broader scale, supported on four great columns. The walls on each side of this shallow portico, and on the Elizabeth Street side, consist of windows flanked by pilasters. On this portion of the building the pilasters are repeated in the very refined attic-story which is handsomely panelled in between. A rich cornice, similar to that on the Bowery side, is carried around both sides of the el.
The success of this early savings bank is amply attested to by its dignified and imposing architecture. It is reputed to be the only bank in New York which retains a branch on the site where it first started business.
Sources and further reading
This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.