Bowery Bank of New York Building

126 Bowery, New York, NY

History and architecture

Completed in 1902, the Bowery Bank of New York is the earliest surviving building by the architectural firm of York & Sawyer in New York City. Located at the northwest corner of the Bowery and Grand Street, it is flanked on both sides by the former Bowery Savings Bank, a designated Landmark that was constructed during the years when both York and Sawyer were employed by the building’s architect, McKim Mead & White. While the neighboring facades are distinguished by massive pediments and Corinthian columns that suggest an ancient Roman temple, the straightforward monumentality of the Bowery Bank expressed its function as a modern place of work. The New York Daily Tribune praised the building when it opened, saying it “ranks with the best of our modern New York banks.”

Edward P. York and Philip Sawyer formed their partnership in 1898 and the light-colored, marble street elevations display features associated with the City Beautiful movement and the Beaux Arts style, including a rusticated base, segmental-arched windows, and a substantial fourth-story cornice embellished with copper cresting that lines up with its neighbor. Such sturdy classical elements would have been visible to passengers traveling on the elevated railway, which served the Bowery from 1878 to 1955.

A second entrance, at the west end of the Grand Street facade, serves the upper floor offices that were leased by the bank to outside tenants. During the first decades of the 20th century, York & Sawyer enjoyed great professional success, designing approximately 50 bank buildings, many of which are designated Landmarks. The Bowery National Bank was founded by flour merchant William R. Foster and Richard Hamilton in 1865. It was renamed the Bowery Bank of New York in 1889.

After three-and-a-half decades at the corner of Canal Street, the bank moved to this location in 1902 and welcomed depositors until 1925, when it merged with the East River National Bank. As part of a subsequent merger it became part of the National City Bank of New York, a precursor to Citibank. In 1992, the building was sold and the lowest floors were converted to retail space. The first-story windows were enlarged, creating street level entrances and storefronts.

Despite alterations and the installation of multiple canopies, most of the original classical detail survives, especially at the upper cornices and around the windows. An early commission by one of the New York City’s leading architectural firms, this simple yet monumental structure is a major example of early 20th-century bank architecture.

Sources and further reading

This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.

Keep exploring nearby.

All building histories

Bank

Bowery Savings Bank

130 Bowery, New York, NY

Built 1894, this bank landmark at 130 Bowery was designed by McKim, Mead & White.

Commercial

97 Bowery Building

97 Bowery, New York, NY

Built 1869, this commercial landmark at 97 Bowery was designed by Peter L.P. Tostevin.

Firehouse

Fire Engine Company Number 55

363 Broome Street, New York, NY

Built 1898-99, this firehouse landmark at 363 Broome Street was designed by R. H. Robertson.

Residential

192 Grand Street House

192 Grand Street, New York, NY

Built 1833, this residential landmark at 192 Grand Street.