History and architecture
Built in 1901-02, the Wadleigh High School for Girls was designed by the prominent school architect C.B.J. Snyder, and is one of his most sophisticated and innovative secondary school designs. The first public girls' high school in New York City and one of the new high schools built in New York after the five boroughs were incorporated and the Board of Education was consolidated in 1898, it was named after Lydia F. Wadleigh, who pioneered in the movement of higher education for women in the last half of the nineteenth century in New York City.
With its tall side tower, the building is a handsome example of the Collegiate Gothic style, a style which Snyder introduced for public school architecture. He gave it additional distinction with such Americanizing elements as shields with stars, stripes and ribbons and gabled wall dormers in the early French Renaissance style. The building continued in use as a girls' high school until 1953-54 when the school underwent some alterations and was converted as a co-educational junior high school (LS. 88, opened in 1956).
A complete recent renovation and restoration has insured the long term future of this building for educational use. Once again the building is an architectural centerpiece in this central Harlem community.
Sources and further reading
This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.