The Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church

75 East 93rd Street, New York, NY

History and architecture

Formerly a part of one of the most extensive early Twentieth Century town houses in New York and now The Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, this handsome L-shaped unit has great architectural distinction, dignity and restrained simplicity. Although definitely belonging to the Eclectic Period, this characteristic is subordinate to that of its superior quality of design and to the free interpretation of an historic style. The magnificent ensemble, comprising the main house with a ballroom wing, and a dower house set across a courtyard, forms the outstanding illustration in the City of modified Federal style as applied to a town house of the first rank.

The original portion of the complex, completed in 1918, for Francis F. Palmer consists of an almost square, three-story brick house with a low stone basement, and two stories of dormer windows set in the steeply pitched high slate roof, which is reminiscent of Georgian antecedents. Five windows wide on Park Avenue with four on Ninety-third Street, the evenly spaced windows are set in wide wall areas set up in English bond brickwork, drowning these red brick walls is a well-proportioned stone cornice composed of classical moldings, dentils and ornate modillions.

The parapet wall set back from the cornice is pierced in front of each pedimented dormer by open balustrades. With the exception of the fifth floor bull's-eye windows, all those of the east and south elevations are symmetrically arranged. Two tall brick chimneys, prominently placed in the steep roof of the west and south elevations, play a dominant role in the architectural scheme of this residence.

In the days of the evacuation of the White armies and of the people, The Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia was created by the issuance of an edict (ukase), by the Patriarch Tykhon, together with the Saint Synod and the legal authority of the Church Council on November 20, 1920.

After holding the First Council meeting abroad in 1921, the Patriarch Tykhon, was forced by the Soviets to dissolve the Supreme Church Administration. He issued a message to that end from prison dated May 3, 1922. However, the Council of Bishops abroad then reorganized their administration on the ground of a general Patriarchal order of November 20, 1920, providing instructions for dioceses which would be unable to have regular relations with the Church Center in Moscow in connection with the political situation. By virtue of that ukase a new governing body, The Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia was created.

The Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia is significant throughout the world: it has more than 400 congregations scattered over almost all the countries of the free world. These congregations consist of hundreds of thousands of believers, several hundred priests and 24 bishops.

Sources and further reading

This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.

Keep exploring nearby.

All building histories

Residential

69 East 93rd Street Building

69 East 93rd Street, New York, NY

Built 1928-29, this residential landmark at 69 East 93rd Street was designed by Delano & Aldrich.

Residential

67 East 93rd Street House

67 E 93rd Street, New York, NY

Built 1931, this residential landmark at 67 E 93rd Street was designed by Delano & Aldrich.

Residential

120 East 92nd Street House

120 East 92nd Street, New York, NY

Built 1860, this residential landmark at 120 East 92nd Street.