The Players

16 Gramercy Park, New York, NY

History and architecture

This building was remodeled from a Gothic Revival town house. The very distinguished front porch of the Players with its handsome iron railings and gorgeous wrought iron lamps is the work of Stanford White. Few architects today can achieve greater effects in such a small space as did White in making this relatively small alteration.

Executed in the Italian Renaissance Eclectic Style, popular after the World's Fair of 1893 in Chicago, this porch with square uprights below displays a fine series of Tuscan columns in its upper half surmounted by a handsome roof deck topped by an iron railing.

This sort of remodeling is representative of the time when architects were attempting to get rid of the exterior stoops which gave access to a raised first floor. Architects substituted the English basement type entrance at sidewalk level or slightly below when necessary. What is remarkable here is the ease and charm with which the architect made this transition and how skillfully the porch disguised the conversion. This notable entrance established a precedent which was widely followed throughout the City with varying degrees of success.

For many years this building has been the home of The Players, a leading organization of actors. Edwin Booth bought the building in 1888 with the intention of making it into a club for actors. It was altered the same year, and Booth's gift has served as a club ever since.

Sources and further reading

This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.

Keep exploring nearby.

All building histories

Clubhouse

The National Arts Club

15 Gramercy Park, New York, NY

Built 1874, this clubhouse landmark at 15 Gramercy Park was designed by Calvert Vaux.

Religious

Friends Meeting House

144 East 20th Street, New York, NY

Built 1859, this religious landmark at 144 East 20th Street was designed by King & Kellum.

Commercial

Russell Sage Foundation Building and Annex

130 East 22nd Street, New York, NY

Built 1912-13, this commercial landmark at 130 East 22nd Street was designed by Grosvenor Atterbury, John A. Tompkins II.