History and architecture
The Lambs, built in 1904-05, is a handsome neo-Georgian style clubhouse designed by the prominent New York City architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White. An extension, added in 1915 by architect George A. Freeman, matched the original facade and doubled the width of the building.
The Lambs was founded in 1874 by a small group—which included several members of the Wallack Theatre Company--for "the social intercourse of members of the dramatic and musical professions with men of the world, and the giving of entertainments for mutual amusement and instruction." Henry J. Montague, one of the founders, had belonged to a similar club in London named the Lambs (in honor of Charles and Mary Lamb who had held weekly open house for theatre people) and suggested the name for the New York group.
The club was formally incorporated under New York State law on May 10, 1S77. Rented social halls in the vicinity of Union Square served as headquarters for the organization for a number of years. The meeting place was known as the Fold, the President and Vice President were called the Shepherd and the Boy, respectively, and the club's annual outings were called Washings or Shearings, The club became well-known in New York City for its public and private Gambols--satiric theatrical revues--which began in 1888. Members also presented many plays which later achieved popular success on Broadway in the club's private theater.
Sources and further reading
This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.