The Free Church of Saint Mary-the-Virgin

145 West 46th Street, New York, NY

History and architecture

The Free Church of Saint Mary-the-Virgin complex, including the church, Clergy House, Mission House, Rectory and Lady Chapel, was designed by Pierre L. LeBrun of Napoleon LeBrun & Sons in 1894. The church, long a center of Anglo-Catholic worship, is a physical realization of the tenets of the Oxford Movement which sought to better the lives of the urban poor through nursing care, inspirational activity and the ritual of the Pre-Reformation Church in England.

Built in 1895 to make full use of an irregular site, St. Mary's was designed both to realize the programmatic goals of its trustees and to evoke, in the church and Lady Chapel, the 13th- century French Gothic Style. The Clergy and Mission Houses, and the Rectory were rant in the 14th-century French Gothic style. The result is one of the finest Gothic-inspired designs of New York's late 19th century. The steel frame construction of the church can be said to have made the building the first of its kind and size in the world, thus redefining the conventional methods of church construction.

Among the building's several specific Anglo-Catholic characteristics are the subjects selected for the sculptures of J. Massey Rhind whose academic naturalism complements LeBrun's architecture.

Sources and further reading

This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.

Keep exploring nearby.

All building histories

Educational

High School of the Performing Arts

120 West 46th Street, New York, NY

Built 1893-94, this educational landmark at 120 West 46th Street was designed by C. B. J. Snyder.

Theater

Lyceum Theater

157 West 45th Street, New York, NY

Built 1903, this theater landmark at 157 West 45th Street was designed by Herts & Tallant.

Theater

The Cort Theater

146 West 48th Street, New York, NY

Built 1912-13, this theater landmark at 146 West 48th Street was designed by Thomas Lamb.