History and architecture
To many, this Church is the most beautiful in the City. Although influenced by French Gothic architecture, this limestone structure is quite unlike any Gothic Church to be found on the continent. Its detail is based on Gothic prototypes, but it is used with great inventiveness throughout and in its asymmetry and the design of its facades, it is not in any way reminiscent of specific French prototypes. Credit for this is due to architect Bertram Goodhue, a master craftsman, who, when this Church was designed in 1906, had outgrown the slavish copying of traditional types and had arrived at a new interpretation of Gothic work as a living, architectural language.
In order to achieve an impressive nave and chancel in width and height (Cram was responsible for the plan) Goodhue created asymmetrical elevations ideally suited to the restricted site. This architectural scheme gives full recognition to a main entrance, on center with the nave which is beautifully wedded to a square tower at the corner. Here the tower can be seen to best advantage from all directions and is in itself a striking feature.
The elevations are replete with ornament. The buttresses of the square tower, as well as those on the 53rd Street side, are extremely simple and serve as beautiful foils for the elaboration of the main entrance and rose window above it. The concept of this Church becomes more amazing as one studies it. In beauty, detail and construction, it is a masterpiece. The Parish House (formerly the Rectory) nestles alongside the Church on 53rd Street to the west of the chapel, and the integration of these elements is a superb accomplishment.
St. Thomas' parish has lived through many vicissitudes since it broke away from Trinity Church in 1823. The first of its two churches near Broadway & Houston Street burned in 1851, the second became engulfed by slums and was closed in 1866.
A third church was then designed by Richard Upjohn on the present site. Built in 1870, it burned in 1905, leaving only enough of the old building, to permit a large, temporary chapel seating 1200 to be erected within it. The shell was later removed and replaced by the present Church without any interruption of church services.
Sources and further reading
This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.