History and architecture
St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Cathedral was built in 1901-02 from the designs of John Bergesen, a New York City architect of Russian origin. Its style is derived from Baroque architecture as it had evolved in Moscow. The construction in New York City of a traditional Russian church provided local parishioners
The St. Nicholas congregation, which was established in 1894, met in a rented house at 323 Second Avenue until a permanent building could be erected.
The purchase of the 75 by 100 foot lot, on which the present church buildings stand, was undertaken by Dean Alexander Hotovitsky on behalf of the congregation in September 1899.
The lot was smaller than what had initially been sought, and it was not a corner site, but the high cost of real estate in New York limited the selection. The New York City congregation was unable to fully finance the building, so the Synod of Russia was given Imperial permission to collect money throughout the Russian Empire.
The ceremony of laying the cornerstone took place on May 22, 1901, the day of the Feast of Translation, commemorating the transfer of the relics of St. Nicholas from Myra in Lycia, Asia Minor, to Bari, Italy in 1087.
On November 23, 1902, a consecration service, the first to be held in the completed church, is led by Bishop Tikhon, the head of the Russian Church in the Aleutian Islands and North America. Bishop Charles Chapman Grafton, representing the Episcopal Church, participated in the service. The Russian Holy Synod elevated St. Nicholas Church to Cathedral status in December 1903, and the Diocesan Seat of North America was transferred from San "Francisco to New York in 1905.
Restoration work was carried out on the Cathedral between 1954 and 1960. Today St. Nicholas Cathedral continues to serve the needs of the Russian Orthodox Church in this country as it has since its founding.
The Cathedral, with its onion-dome cupolas topped by gilt crosses, and the attached rectory present an unexpected and impressive facade on East 97th Street.
Sources and further reading
This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.