St. Michael's Chapel

266 Mulberry Street, New York, NY

History and architecture

St. Michael's Chapel of Old St. Patrick's Cathedral, a fine example of Gothic Revival architecture, was built in 1858-59 as a chancery office and was designed by James Renwick, Jr., in association with William Rodrigue. It is one of several buildings in the Old St. Patrick's Cathedral complex--the others are the cathedral itself and the convent,girls' school, both designated New York City Landmarks, and the rectory.

Calvary Cemetery, which originally served St. Peter's Church on Barclay Street,surrounds the chapel and the cathedral.

Although the Roman Catholic Church was formally established in New York City with the founding of St. Peter's Church in 1785, New York did not become a separate diocese until 1808. The cornerstone of St. Patrick's, the seat of the new diocese, was laid the following year. Dedicated in 1815, the new church was designed by Joseph Francois Mangin, one of the architects of City Hall.

It is the earliest Gothic style church still standing in Manhattan. In 1817, St. Patrick's was incorporated as a congregation separate from St. Pater's Church.

Sources and further reading

This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.

Keep exploring nearby.

All building histories

Religious

Old St. Patrick's Cathedral

263 Mulberry Street, New York, NY

Built 1809-15, this religious landmark at 263 Mulberry Street was designed by Joseph F. Mangin.

Commercial

Puck Building

309 Lafayette Street, New York, NY

Built 1885-86, this commercial landmark at 309 Lafayette Street was designed by Albert Wagner.

Commercial

Bayard-Condict Building

69 Bleecker Street, New York, NY

Built 1897-99, this commercial landmark at 69 Bleecker Street was designed by Louis Sullivan, Lyndon P. Smith.