History and architecture
The dignified three-story French Renaissance Parsonage of Holy Trinity Church is one of the three separate entities comprising this unusual ecclesiastical complex. This building is constructed of the same materials as Holy Trinity Church and St. Christopher House - brown tinted Roman brick, with terracotta decorative details and a red tile roof; consequently it blends harmoniously with the overall ensemble. Skillfully wedded to the plan of the church, this handsome structure might appear to be part of the church, were it not for the fact that it stands on its own architectural merit and has solid individuality and distinction.
The parsonage projects northward from the general mass of the church and extends almost to the street closing the east end of the large open court that it helps to form between the church, the parish house and the street. The exterior walls are relatively free of decoration, except for the horizontal moldings that emphasize the first, second, and third floor levels. The window openings are likewise treated simply with enframing moldings.
Designed by the architects Barney & Chapman, the parsonage was erected concurrently with the church and parish house. A gift to the Episcopalian diocese, from Serena Rhinelander as a memorial to her grandfather and her father, William C. Rhinelander, the buildings occupy a portion of the old Rhinelander Farm, purchased in 1798 by the first William Rhinelander.
Sources and further reading
This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.