History and architecture
In the wake of the World's Colmnbian Exposition of 1893 which spawned the Academic Classical Movement throughout America, the neo-classical style virtually became a formula solution for bank design. Constructed in 1907, for the New York County National Bank, (formed 1855), this bank building is an exceptionally fine and well-conceived example of its type.
The overall design, although small in scale, employs the Ornamental classical type in a unified and structurally expressive manner, superimposing two classical architectural systems, a trabeated and an arcuated order. Enhancing the well-proportioned composition is especially handsome and thematically appropriate stone carving, which incorporates Beaux-Arts ornamental motifs, classical symbols,and naturalistic elements. The architects were De-Lemos & Cordes; responsible for some of New York's largest and most impressive retail stores, as well as residential and commercial buildings, in conjunction with the Ecole des Beaux-Arts trained Rudolph L. Daus (as successor), one of Brooklyn's foremost architects who designed several public institutional buildings in that borough.
The bank occupies a prominent corner site at the axis of two major thoroughfares. Paired with its counterpart, the New York Bank for Savings located across 14th Street, the two banks form a striking, classical ensemble reflective of sensitive, civic-minded urbanism, symbolically linking the neighborhoods of Greenwich Village and Chelsea.
Sources and further reading
This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.