George W. Vanderbilt Residence, 647 Fifth Avenue

641 5th Avenue, New York, NY

History and architecture

This distinguished building, 647 Fifth Avenue, located between 51st and 52nd Streets, is one of the few reminders of the residential character and Beaux-Arts splendor of this section of Fifth Avenue at the turn of the century. Built with 645 Fifth Avenue as a pair known as the "Marble Twins", the building was commissioned in 1902 by George W. Vanderbilt. That Richard H. and Joseph H. Hunt of the firm of Hunt & Hurt were chosen to design this pair of houses Is hardly surprising for a longstanding relationship existed between the Vanderbilts--as patrons--with the Hunts--as architects. Richard Morris Hunt, father of Richard and Joseph and New York's most prominent architect in the late 19th century, had, from the 1870s on, designed most of the great mansions built for the Vanderbilts of his generation. Hunt & Hunt continued the families tradition.

In the later 19th century the Vanderbilts began to erect a series of hand-some and opulent residences along Fifth Avenue. They are said to have spent millions of dollars in purchasing land along Fifth Avenue in order to protect their residences from business encroachment. In 1879 William K. Vanderbilt commissioned a house at 660 Fifth Avenue. Designed by Richard Morris Hunt, It was, at the time it was built, one of the most elaborate houses in Manhattan and the very first in the French Renaissance style which later became so popular.

His brother, Cornelius, at the same time had begun construction of his great French chateau at 57th Street and Fifth Avenue, which was designed by George B. Post, a noted architect and former student of Richard M. Hunt. William H. Vanderbilt, father of William K. and Cornellus, was also building his twin brownstone houses between 51st and 52nd Streets on the west side of Fifth Avenue in the same years, Designed by the decorating firm, Herter Brothers, they were considered imposing but of less than exceptional architectural merit; in fact, the "Twin Houses" soon became known as the "Twin Horrors."

Two of William's daughters, Mrs. Elliott F. Shepard and Mrs. William D. Sloane lived in them for many years. The site directly across the street from them on Fifth Avenue was occupied by the Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum until the Church sold the property In 1900. Two years later a large portion of this property formerly owned by the Church was acquired by the New York Realty Corporation, a Vanderbilt family concern.

The corner property at 52nd Street was sold by the realty corporation to Morton F. Plant, the banker, in 1903. His house, which is now Cartier, Inc., a designated New York City Landmark, was completed in 1905.( The "Marble Twins" at 645 and 647 Fifth Avenue, commissioned by George W. Vanderbilt, were begun in 1902 on the recently acquired site and completed in 1905. William D. Sloane, the husband of Emily Vanderbilt who was the sister of George W. and William K. Vanderbilt, soon purchased 645 Fifth Avenue. The house was occupied by William and Emily Sloane's daughter Lila and her husband William B. Osgood Field for more than twenty years. Although George W. Vanderbilt was the first owner of No. 647, he never lived in it. By 1904 his brother, William K. Vanderbilt had purchased the house.

George Washington Vanderbilt (1862-1914), unlike his brother William, was not deeply involved in the family business concerns. Characterized at the time of his death as a "traveller, scholar, and scientific farmer," he devoted himself to art collecting, the study of languages and philosophy, and the administration of his vast estate. Biltmore, near Asheville, North Carolina. Vanderbilt, when not travelling abroad, preferred Biitmore to New York. and spent much of his time there, occupied with stockbreeding, forestry, and furnishing of his great chateau which had been designed by Richard Morris Hunt.

William Kissam Vanderbilt (1841-1920), with his brother Cornelius (1843-1899), was the chief manager of the family fortune. He served as a director In the Vanderbilt railroad companies and other corporations. An enthusiastic sportsman, he raced horses and was a yachtsman. He was also an active philanthropist and art collector. William was the first Vanderbilt to commission a residence by Richard Morris Hunt--660 Fifth Avenue. His brothers Cornelius and George followed suit.

The first and only occupant of 647 Fifth Avenue as a residence was the noted realtor Robert Goelet, a Vanderbilt relation by marriage. it became his house after his marriage to Elsie Whelen in 1904. Robert Goelet (18801966) was a member of the prominent New York Goelet family. Of Dutch descent the Goelets immigrated to America in the late 17th century and Peter Coelet, a third generation descendant, is credited with amassing the fortune which later generations greatly enlarged.

The family fortune was based upon New York City real estate holdings and reputedly the Goelet family at one time owned some fifty-five acres between Union Square and 48th Street on the east side of Manhattan. Robert Goelet was an able financier and real estate developer and director of numerous corporations, among them the New York Trust Co., City investing Co., the Fifth Avenue Corporation, and Chemical Bank. He graduated from Harvard University in 1903 and married the following year.

This marriage ended in divorce and Goelet moved from No. 647. After fighting in the First World War in France, he was remarried to the Princess Fernanda Rocchi Riabouchinsky. The couple were divorced several years later, and in 1925 Goelet married Roberta Willard. Described by the New York Times (2/7/66) as a man of "taste and wealth," Goelet was a noted wine connoisseur and an active member of both New York and Newport society. The great family house, "Ochre Court" at Newport, which was designed in 1888 by Richard Morris Hunt, was owned by Goelet.

He donated this mansion to Salve Regina College and later lived in another handsome Newport house,"Champ Soleil." At the time of his death, Goelet's New York residence was at 4 East 66th Street.

In 1917, the same year-that Morton F. Plant sold his 651 Fifth Avenue residence to Cartier, Inc., No. 647 was acquired by Gimpel & Wildenstein, the world-renowned art dealers, later Wildenstein & Co., and the building was skillfully altered for commercial use.

Sources and further reading

This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.

Keep exploring nearby.

All building histories

Residential

John Pierce Residence

11 East 51st Street, New York, NY

Built 1904-06, this residential landmark at 11 East 51st Street was designed by John H. Duncan.

Commercial

Look Building

488 Madison Avenue, New York, NY

Built 1948-50, this commercial landmark at 488 Madison Avenue was designed by Emery Roth & Sons.

Residential

Henry Villard Houses

455 Madison Avenue, New York, NY

Built 1882-84, this residential landmark at 455 Madison Avenue was designed by McKim, Mead & White.

Residential

Fisk-Harkness House

12 East 53rd Street, New York, NY

Built 1871, this residential landmark at 12 East 53rd Street was designed by Griffith Thomas, Raleigh C. Gildersleeve (Remodeled).