Engineers' Club Building

32 West 40th Street, New York, NY

History and architecture

The Engineers’ Club was founded in 1888 at a time when professional engineering was becoming increasingly important to the industrial and economic development of the United States. While the city was well supplied with professional and trade associations related to engineering, the Engineers’ Club was the first purely social organization founded in the United States for engineers or those connected to the field. Prominent members have included Andrew Carnegie, Herbert C. Hoover, Thomas Edison, Charles Lindbergh, Cornelius Vanderbilt, H.H. Westinghouse, and Nikola Tesla.

While the club originally leased space in Midtown Manhattan, it began to plan for a larger, purpose-built clubhouse around the turn of the century, acquiring land facing Bryant Park and the future home of the New York Public Library (both New York City Landmarks). Around the same time, industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie offered the sum of $1 million for a separate project - the creation of a joint headquarters for New York City’s professional engineering clubs. In 1904, Carnegie increased the amount of his proffered gift to $1.5 million in order to incorporate the plans of the Engineers’ Club. Ultimately, the decision was reached to erect two separate but related structures, allowing for a direct flow between them.

The design of the Engineers’ Club building was determined by an architectural competition in which the young firm of Whitfield & King bested more established names such as Carrère & Hastings and Clinton & Russell. The 12-story Renaissance Revival style building, completed in 1907, featured a tripartite configuration consisting of a three-story base clad in white marble with prominent Corinthian pilasters, a seven-story red brick shaft embellished with marble quoins and molded window enframements, and a three-story capital capped by a deeply projecting modillioned cornice. An early example of the high-rise clubhouse building type, the Engineers’ Club building also featured 66 sleeping rooms in addition to its public and social spaces.

The Engineers’ Club occupied the West 40th Street building until 1979, at which point the structure was converted into residential apartments. Today, the building looks almost exactly as it did more than a century ago, standing as an architectural reminder of the emergence of New York State as the engineering center of the country and of the United States as an industrial and economic power. As the last remaining club building on the block, it is also a visual reminder of the prominence of the social club and of the bachelor apartment at the turn of the 20th century.

Sources and further reading

This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.

Keep exploring nearby.

All building histories

Commercial

American Radiator Building

40 West 40th Street, New York, NY

Built 1923-24, this commercial landmark at 40 West 40th Street was designed by Raymond M. Hood.

Residential

Bryant Park Studios

80 West 40th Street, New York, NY

Built 1900-01, this residential landmark at 80 West 40th Street was designed by Charles A. Rich.

Commercial

Knox Building

452 5th Avenue, New York, NY

Built 1901-02, this commercial landmark at 452 5th Avenue was designed by John H. Duncan.

Library

New York Public Library

476 5th Avenue, New York, NY

Built 1898-1911, this library landmark at 476 5th Avenue was designed by Carrere & Hastings.