Congregation Shearith Israel

99 Central Park West, New York, NY

History and architecture

The synagogue of the Congregation Shearith Israel was built in 1896-97 from plans by the architectural firm of Brunner & Tryon. This masonry building, referred to as the Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue, is the fourth synagogue erected by the Congregation since 1729. The first building, located on what is today South William Street, provided a permanent house of worship for the Jewish settlers who had been meeting together for nearly a hundred years. Prior to the erection of the present building, the Congregation had built two other synagogues; one at 56 Crosby Street in 1833-34 and another at 5 West 19th Street in 1859-60.

Sources and further reading

This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.

Keep exploring nearby.

All building histories

Residential

Majestic Apartments

115 Central Park West, New York, NY

Built 1930-31, this residential landmark at 115 Central Park West was designed by Irwin S. Chanin.

Residential

The Dakota Apartments

1 West 72nd Street, New York, NY

The Dakota was built between 1880 and 1884 to designs by Henry J. Hardenbergh, who later designed the Plaza Hotel. Commissioned by Edward S. Clark, it gave luxury apartment living a...

Armory

First Battery Armory

56 West 66th Street, New York, NY

Built 1900-03, this armory landmark at 56 West 66th Street was designed by Horgan & Slattery.

Residential

San Remo Apartments

146 Central Park West, New York, NY

Built 1929-30, this residential landmark at 146 Central Park West was designed by Emery Roth.