History and architecture
The former Cities Service Building at 70 Pine Street is a 66-story skyscraper, rising from a trapezoidal site bounded by Pine Street, Cedar Street, and Pearl Street. An icon of the lower Manhattan skyline, the building’s shaft terminates in a slender pinnacle crowned by an illuminated lantern and stainless steel spire. At the time of completion in 1932, this Art Deco style tower was the tallest structure in lower Manhattan, and at 952 feet, the third tallest structure in the world.
Commissioned by a major American corporation, it was an expression of the owner’s success, escalating real estate costs, and the current zoning code that required buildings to diminish in mass as they rise. The Cities Service Company was chartered by Henry L. Doherty in 1910, and quickly grew to become one of the largest corporations in the United States, controlling approximately 150 energy firms in 38 states, including numerous oil and power suppliers.
In the late 1920s, Doherty made considerable investments in Manhattan real estate, acquiring 60 Wall Street, which he planned to expand and occupy as his headquarters. When two proposals failed to win the Department of Buildings’ approval, the current site was assembled, costing $2 million. Clinton & Russell, Holton & George served as architect, designing a set back tower, clad with white brick, light gray Indiana limestone, and speckled rose-and-black granite.
Thomas J. George is thought to have been the lead designer, enriching the lower floors with stylized reliefs that rival any architectural ornamentation created during the Art Deco period in New York City. Of particular interest is the company’s triangular logo, as well as sunflowers, sunbursts and stepped pyramids, which direct the eye upward and recall the shape of the spire. The northeast and southeast portals are the most distinctive entrances, with four-story-tall archways leading to multistory vestibules connecting the first floor and basement lobbies.
At the center of both east portals is a limestone model of the Cities Service Building. In a city crowded with new skyscrapers, this unusual sculptural feature illustrated what had become almost impossible to see – the building in its entirety. Doherty’s headquarters incorporated various innovative features, including escalators linking the lower floors, the city’s first double-deck elevators, and private terraces enclosed by steel railings coated with aluminum lacquer.
The opening of the building coincided with Doherty’s return as the company’s chief executive and he intended to occupy the crown as his private triplex. When plans were canceled, the uppermost floor was converted to a public observation gallery, with unsurpassed views of New York harbor. Though completed during the early years of the Great Depression, the Cities Service Building was a modest success. Financed through a public stock offering rather than a mortgage, it reportedly achieved profitability by 1936 and was 90% occupied by 1941.
The Cities Service Company was renamed CITGO in 1965 and the building was sold to the American International Group in 1976. Following AIG’s financial collapse in 2008 and a subsequent bailout by the U.S. government, this distinctive tower was acquired by Sahn Eagle LLC in 2009. The Cities Service Building is one of lower Manhattan’s most prominent skyscrapers and one of the finest Art Deco style buildings in New York City.
Sources and further reading
This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.