History and architecture
Central Synagogue is the oldest Jewish House of Worship in continuous service in the State of New York. Although the plan is Gothic in arrangement, this stone Temple is our finest extant example of the Moorish Revival Style in New York City. Dominating the East elevation are two striking octagonal towers, surmounted by globe-shaped domes enhanced by the patina of age.
A prominent design element of this imposing facade, is the largo handsomely enframed and geometrically constructed circular window, centered in the well decorated front wall which connects the two towers. Three double doors separated by slender columns support the round Moorish arches of the main entrance.
The long North elevation wall contains six fine stained glass windows with Moorish arches. This facade is accented with a wide band at the second floor, which continues through the tall windows. Below the cornice, at the roof line, is a row of small, handsome corbelled arches adding richness of detail and an interesting play of shadow to the otherwise stark exterior.
The central nave rises one story above the low pitched roof of the aisle and contains six small round (clerestory) windows.
In 1846, Central Synagogue, then known as Ahawath Chesed, was founded on Ludlow Street in lower Manhattan. Part of Central Synagogue, was a Congregation named Shaar Hashomayim, whose charter as a religious institution was granted in 1839. Thus, Central Synagogue may be the oldest Reform Congregation in New York.
Sources and further reading
This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.