History and architecture
This stone fort, once located offshore at the end of a causeway, is one of the original harbor forts which guarded New York. Its handsome doorway and imposing curved walls are notable architectural features. The walls of the fort are remarkable for their massive quality, measuring eight feet in thickness at the gun ports. The handsome doorway is, in all probability, based on a design by Vauban, the great French military engineer.
Although none of the 28 guns of the fort ever fired a shot in a military engagement, the fort was important for the protection of New York City during the War of 1812. The fort was ceded to the City in 1823 and became a place of amusement, known as Castle Garden. In 1845 it was covered by a domed roof and served as the City's principal hall for the performance of opera and concerts. In 1855 it became a depot for immigration, and approximately 7,500,000 immigrants passes through its doors.
Following this use the building was remodeled in 1896 by McKim, Mead and White as an aquarium, remaining as such until 1941. At that date it was to have been razed to make way for the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel approaches. The fort was saved, however, in 1946 when it was renamed Castle Clinton and became a National Monument under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Sources and further reading
This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.