History and architecture
The red brick building at 504 Canal Street is part of a rare surviving cluster of early nineteenth-century structures in lower Manhattan on a block partially created on landfill and located close to the Hudson River waterfront. It was built c. 1841 on a site on the south side of Canal Street between Greenwich and Washington Streets by Robert Stewart, an heir of the Lispenard family, and its history is closely linked with that of the building at 480 Greenwich Street/502 Canal Street. Greek Revival in style with an impressive trabeated granite storefront, the building harmonizes with its Federal style neighbors in its brickwork, window detail, and sloping roof.
The building has always had commercial space at the ground story with residential accommodations above. Its presence is a striking reminder of the initial phase of the development of New York City in the years of the early republic.
Sources and further reading
This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.