History and architecture
This handsome townhouse at No. 203 Prince Street was built in 1833-34. Its style is transitional from Federal to Greek Revival. The original owner, John P. Haff, listed in the city directories as a leather inspector, acquired several lots on this block in 1811 and built houses on three of them in 1833-34.
Haff lived in the house at 183, now replaced by the building at 199-201 Prince. The land had formerly been a part of Aaron Burr's estate, "Richmond Hill." Between 1815 and 1825 the population of the area doubled. It remained a favored residential area for well-to-do New Yorkers until mid-century. This property remained in the Haff family until the 1860s.
The three-story house with front of red Flemish bond brickwork and brownstone basement has been sympathetically restored and is one of the few surviving examples of its type.
Sources and further reading
This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.