History and architecture
The Federal style row house at 143 Allen Street was constructed c. 1830-31 as a speculative investment by George Sutton, a ship captain and counting house merchant. Originally part of a group of six similar residences, it is located in the heart of what is now known as Manhattan’s Lower East Side on land that was once part of the vast country estate of James De Lancey. The area developed rapidly following the turn of the 19th century and by the 1830s had become a bustling neighborhood composed in large part of brick and brick- fronted Federal style row houses.
George Sutton had established himself in the early 19th century as a captain sailing the coastal trade route between New York City and Charleston, South Carolina. He eventually became ship master in the New- York and Charleston Packet Line, and later an agent and merchant working in a counting house on the East River waterfront. Many of the early tenants of Sutton’s rental properties were also involved in the maritime industry, including Captains William Sinclair and John Wright, shipmasters Edmund Sutton and Isaac Johnson, and mariner Thomas Wardle.
In subsequent decades the Lower East Side experienced dramatic demographic changes that transformed the area into the densest urban neighborhood on the planet and made the Federal style residence a rare survivor amongst a sea of newer and much larger multi-family dwellings. Beginning in the 1840s, as Irish and German immigrants settled in the area, many of the existing row houses—including the 143 Allen Street House—were converted for use by a number of separate families. Later, with the influx of Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe and Russia after 1880, most of the older residences were replaced outright with larger purpose-built tenements.
The design of the 143 Allen Street House is characteristic of the Federal style in its high peaked roof with dormers, Flemish bond brickwork, and brownstone window lintels and sills on the second story. Despite alterations to the basement and parlor floor for commercial use in the 1910s, the residence is among the relatively rare surviving and intact Manhattan town houses of the Federal style and period, and is one of only a handful still extant on the Lower East Side.
Sources and further reading
This history comes from the Landmarks app’s historical catalog. Names and building uses may reflect the period described.